After releasing PS3 root keys publicly this week, followed by a video showing homebrew running on firmware 3.55, Geohot has now released Jailbreak for PlayStation 3 firmware 3.55 but with virtually no instructions.
Here is a step by step guide to help you with the jailbreak. We have also included a sub-guide showing how to install homebrew packages once your device is Jailbroken. The PS3 Jailbreak is 100% free and very simple to apply using this guide. Do not get scammed by paying for this jailbreak in any form.
To Jailbreak PS3 on 3.55
1. Plug a USB stick into your computer
2. Create a folder in the root of the USB stick called PS3
3. Create a folder inside the PS3 folder called UPDATE
4. Download the Jailbreak
5. Unzip Jailbreak.zip and extract the PS3UPDAT.PUP file
6. Move PS3UPDAT.PUP to the directory UPDATE that you just created on the USB stick
7. Plug the USB stick into your PS3
8. Navigate to Settings Tab
9. Choose System Update
10. Choose Update via Storage Media
11. It will say it found Version 3.55-jb
12. Choose OK
13. Accept Conditions and Install Update
14. After less than a minute, your PS3 will update, beep 4 times then shut down.
15. Power up your PS3 (You will have to do it on the console and not by the controller)
16. Your PS3 is now jailbroken!
To Install Packages
1. Plug your USB stick into your computer
2. Drop the package file into the root of the USB stick
3. Plug your USB stick into your PS3
4. Navigate to the Game Tab
5. Choose Install Package Files
6. Select the filename.pkg
7. After it installs you will find the package installed below the Install Package Files folder
Now you just need to wait for more awesome packages (or apps) to be created by the PS3 community!