Garmin GPS systems are great if you don’t know how to find your way to an address but their maps often get outdated in a few years as new infrastructure is developed in your city.
Find the $99 update somewhat of a pinch? Here is a solution for you!
Using this guide you will be able to update your Garmin GPS system to the latest (2013) map data for North America, all you need is a little bit of patience and careful reading. This guide can also be followed to update maps from other countries but you will need to locate the map files of your country on your end.
Garmin City Navigator 2013.10 Unlocked (torrent) | (mirror 1) (mirror 2) (mirror 3)
Garmin Unlocked IMG File | 2013.30 (torrent | magnet) RECOMMENDED
A file archiver/extractor like 7-Zip
Garmin Unlocker (Pass:haklabs.com)
A GPS device plugged into your PC
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN METHOD 1 & 2
Method 1 – To be used if you would like to customize the maps on your unit to specific areas.
Method 2 – To be used if you want the entire map data available on your unit (novice friendly)
WHAT ARE TORRENTS?
Don’t know how to use .torrent files? We won’t judge you (maybe)!
Follow these instructions to get started.
Method 1 (MapSource Install Instructions) – PC Only
Based on feedback from our visitors, we have worked on simplifying this method for an easy install process. The instructions for 2012 MapSource install now look different from previous releases.
The 2013.30 MapID is 2775
Note: The downloaded files contain map source, lane assist full (all areas), and 3d map unlocked full (all areas) in individual compressed archives, so select only what you need, Garmin MobileXT users don’t need the 3d map or the lane assist files.
Once the files have been downloaded, extract them as you will need to choose the appropriate folders based on your choice below.
Choose one of the following options:
Option One (Unlocked Maps)
1. Extract the contents of the torrent you downloaded using 7-Zip or any other unrar-tool
2. Once extracted, run “Mapsource.exe” and create your map
Note: No installation needed, Mapsource will create a folder called “Garmin” on the C:\ Drive. This folder will contain the file “gmapsupp.img” which is the unlocked map file created by your specifications.
Option Two (Unlock using *.UNL file)
1. Copy the folder “\2013.10 Source\City Navigator North America NT 2013.10.gmap\” to “C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Application Data\Garmin\Maps”
2. Run the install.exe file from ”\map source 184.108.40.206\install.exe”
3. Launch MapSource and choose the maps that you would like on your device on follow the on screen instructions
4. Use “\garmin map unlocker\unlocker.exe” to generate your maps unlock code. Alternatively, you may also use the Garmin Unlocker provided at the beginning of this guide.
Once completed, if you want to remove Mapsource files from your system:
Delete > C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\My Documents\My Garmin
Delete > C:\Documents and Settings\(USER)\Application Data\Garmin\Maps
Method 2 (Unlocked IMG) – All Platforms
Use either Part A or Part B depending on your choice:
Part A | Internal Memory
1. Connect your device to the computer.
2. Go into the Nuvi files and backup the file named “gmapprom.img” to your computer.
3. Delete the “gmapprom.img” file from the device. (note: make sure you empty the recycle bin after this step)
4. Copy the unlocked “gmapprom.img” file that you downloaded into the device. If the downloaded file is named something else, rename it to “gmapprom.img” and then put it on your device’s internal memory.
5. Restart your device and check your map info via : Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info.
Part B | SD Card
1. Get a 2GB SD card (OR SDHC if your device supports it) and format it FAT or FAT32
2. Create a folder on the memory card called “Garmin”
3. Copy the downloaded IMG file into the Garmin folder on your SD card.
4. Make sure the IMG file is named “gmapsupp.img” on the SD card.
5. Insert the SD card into your Garmin GPS, and browse to your map information on your Garmin GPS and you should see the new maps selected. This can be found on the device via : Tools>Settings>Map>Map Info. (Note: The SD card must remain in your device if you want to use the maps.)
Why is the file name important?
This must be done because this is not the primary mapset as it is being used from the SD card. The primary mapset is the one on the GPS’s internal memory.
Extra Requested Files (Only works on devices that support this feature)
Fullscreen Junction View
D3191050A.JCV- For Nuvi 2xxx/3xxx Split Screen
We love to hear feedback! So drop us a line if you found this helpful. Enjoy the savings!